Unfiled tax returns

Unfiled tax returns can be a problem.  It is a criminal offense to fail to file your tax return, but it is not a criminal offense to file and not pay the taxes you owe. Do yourself a favor: file the tax returns. Besides triggering the statute of  limitations for both criminal and civil statutes, filing tax returns also starts the clock running for the  date your taxes might be discharged in bankruptcy.

If you don’t file your tax returns, the IRS may file for you, which typically is a disaster. The IRS has a habit of not taking exemptions and deductions to which you are entitled. Further, the IRS has  a policy of not criminally prosecuting individuals who file before the IRS contacts them about the  tax years not filed. Also, the IRS is sometimes more compliant for voluntary filers because the Central Service Center has not had a chance to send the file to the local IRS office.

If you are missing information needed to file a tax return, sometimes that information is already in the hands of the IRS and we  help you retrieve it.

As a general rule, the IRS expects at least the last six years tax returns to be filed.

There are different techniques on how to file delinquent tax returns. Some of those techniques make liberal use of the attorney-client privilege. Obviously, these techniques are available only to attorneys.  Call us for more information about how to file delinquent tax returns and what can be expected after you file.